Money issues are bound to come up in any committed relationship. Whether you don’t have enough to make ends meet, or you are trying to determine how best to allocate your phat bonus, debates will inevitably arise.
The more James & I learn to live with each other financially, the more we will still need to learn. While we certainly don’t have it down to a science yet, I thought out readers might find some of the tools we try to use helpful:
- Treat each other with respect and try to consider how they see the situation;
- Tread lightly on each other’s spending habits, as these can be touchy;
- Try to prepare in advance by ironing out possible issues before they arise as a problem;
- Don’t start a $ debate when either of you are hungry or already in a bad mood;
- Play nice and fair, like in the sand box of kindergarten;
- Sharing feels good, but it helps when it goes both ways;
- Remember what brought you together;
- This too shall pass.