5 Ways to Make Extra Money in the Winter

by Jason Butler on January 25, 2016 · 11 comments

WinterWinter 2016 is officially here. Winter storm Jonas has left large amounts of snow all over the east coast. Even though cities may shut down, there are always opportunities for you to make extra money in the winter. In today’s post, I will discuss five ways that people can earn extra money during the winter. Depending on where you live you may have more opportunities to try out some of these hustles than some of us.

Shoveling snow

The 1st way to make money in the winter is to shovel snow. If you live someplace where it snows often then this is the side hustle for you. Depending on the neighborhood that you live in determines how much business you could have. If you live near the elderly you have a good shot of them being potential customers. Some people need help with shoveling their walkways and sidewalks. If you have a shovel and some time you can easily make a couple hundred dollars every time it snows.

Sell firewood

The 2nd item on my list is to sell firewood. Most people don’t have enough trees on their land to make any real money selling wood. This is where you have to get a little creative. You will have to find and collect the wood beforehand. The 1st place that you can check for wood is at a recycling center or a dump. Many people drop off logs at those places because they don’t know what else to do with them. You may be able to find a nice supply there sometimes. The 2nd way that you can find firewood is to contact tree removal companies and see if they have any available scraps.

Scrape ice off cars

Number 3 on the list is to scrape ice off people’s cars. Some people are lazy or they may just not be in the mood to scrape ice off their car. This is where you come in. Once you get the right tools you can start promoting your service by posting flyers in the neighborhood or through social media.

Plowing driveways and parking lots

The 4th way to make money in the winter is to plow driveways and parking lots. This hustle will only work in cities that receive large snowfall annually. It will also only work if you have a truck and a plow. If you have those items contact residents and business owners and make that money.

Help people that are stranded

The final way to make money during the winter is to help people that are stranded. During the winter storms, people can get stranded for several reasons. Their flights could get canceled or their vehicle could stall out in the snow or ice. This is where you can come in and help. If you live near the airport you can rent out any spare room that you may have in your home. If you have a truck or jeep that has four wheel drive, you can help rescue motorists that are stuck during the snowstorms.

What is one way that you can make extra money during the winter?

Disease Called Debt

1 Eva Rabinovic January 28, 2016 at 6:13 am

This is great post, I will show this to my hubby, he is bit bored this days since his company send all workers on vacation until snow is melt down. He has lot of wood scrap in his work shop, and extra bucks are welcome, thanks for sharing.

2 Erin @ Stay At Home Yogi January 30, 2016 at 5:50 am

We got 2 feet of snow in our part of Virginia and I’m so proud of my 16 year old nephew who went out and earned some money shoveling!

3 Liz January 30, 2016 at 10:36 am

Great side hustle ideas!

4 Melissa January 30, 2016 at 5:02 pm

When I lived in snow, I can’t believe I never thought of any of this! Honestly, I was too cold and too much of a baby to try to make extra money shoveling off other people’s walkways. I think if I stayed longer and got used to the cold, I would definitely do this though! :)

5 Mel @ brokeGIRLrich January 31, 2016 at 9:41 am

I used to get so excited about the snow when I was a teenager, since it meant my friends and I could make money shoveling the neighbors driveways.

6 Hayley @ Disease Called Debt February 2, 2016 at 7:08 am

Good tips! I can imagine that having someone scrape ice off your car in the morning could be well worth a few dollars when you think about the time saved!

7 Centument March 11, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Yes! Finally something about ways to make extra money.

8 Modern Furniture Los Angeles March 17, 2016 at 3:51 pm

If you are searching for a way to spice up your night
club or maybe you are simply opening a night club
and are searching for an idea on how to make your decor
crisp and young, two words: modern furnishings.
Get rid of the winter blues and start looking
forward to fashioning the abode for the spring. For readers who care about such things, Beckmann and Trowbridge (both members of the John Lautner Foundation) were careful to remain tastefully
true to the gestalt of the original property.

9 Alphonso April 1, 2016 at 10:24 am

I’m no longer sure where you are getting your info, but great topic.
I needs to spend a while learning more or figuring out more.

Thanks for excellent info I used to be on the lookout for this info for my mission.

10 Investment Rarities April 6, 2016 at 5:16 pm

A far eastern dude was proven to sustain around 400 months
through medicinal spices. Is that possibly the
truth? Might this be realistic.

11 Satvatove Institute April 12, 2016 at 3:19 am

Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is
amazing, great written and include almost all
vital infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this .