Good morning Dinks. Remember back in September when I mentioned my company was sold to a competitor and the transaction should be finalized in Q1 2015? Remember how last month I told you my office is becoming a war ground with backstabbing and negative attitudes? Well the countdown clock has started and by the end of January I should know my professional fate.
With less than 30 days until our company takeover let me tell you the anticipation is killing me. On one side I’ve already waited three months so what’s 30 more days, but on the other side I just want to know what’s going to happen. I’m excited/nervous/excited/curious about the next phase in my career. I want to know what’s going to happen to my job, where I’m going to work and if I’ll be relocated. As of now no one, not even our VP, can answer those questions – but all that comes to an end very soon.
What I hope happens
I think you already know, but I’m going to say it again…I really want to work for my potential new employer. It’s a great company, they are international and hopefully there will be lots and lots of new opportunities. However I’m not naive; I know that EVERYONE in my current company won’t be moving over to our new home. It seems like almost every week I’m invited to attend a going away party for someone who decided to jump ship before they get their pink slip. A part of me says that I should too, but I really want to work for our new employer.
I’m not going to lie, it’s been really difficult to go to work every day since the news was announced in September. My tolerance for personality conflicts has dropped considerably and my efforts to “make it work” with other employees has also declined. I keep telling myself don’t let it bother you because it’s just a temporary situation – and I really hope that’s true.
What I don’t want to happen
I absolutely don’t want the new company to come in and keep everything as is. I’m looking for a fresh start in a new team with a new team leader. I currently work in social media but maybe I’ll want to explore the option of a web writing position with the new employer. Maybe I’ll work for a different division/branch of the parent company or maybe I’ll be relocated. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. I just don’t want everything to stay the same with a new name on the building.
My Plan B
Let’s think of the worst case scenario, which isn’t really the worst case. Let’s say I do lose my job. I’ll have a very nice severance package to send me on my way, my retirement savings will free up to be used if needed and I’ll still be entitled to my year-end bonus. So yes I will be without a job, but I won’t be without money. It will hopefully give me time to find a new position, increase my savings and at the same time have a little fun.
If I do receive a severance package I am going to live out my dream of living in NYC. I’ll rent an apartment for 30 days and investigate what it takes to become an American citizen with full working privileges. Yep that’s what I’ll do. Not too shabby for a Plan B!