Good Morning DINKS. Before we get started let me ask you a question, do you have a pet? Hold your answer because we will come back to it later. A few weeks ago Trish from TLC Book Tours reached out to DINKS Finance and asked if we would like to review the book Shiny Objects by James A. Roberts. Of course I was more than pleased to accept her offer because I personally love to read, and here on DINKS Finance we love to give away free stuff.
Shiny Objects by James A. Roberts asks readers “Why (do) we spend money we don’t have in search of happiness we can’t buy?” This one question sums up my entire life until about three years ago. I was carelessly spending money and accumulating debt in hopes that I would wake up happy when I looked around my apartment and saw all of my “stuff”. Now I am financially responsible with my money and my spending. Now what makes me happy is to see my bank account balances build up. I enjoy living on less, saving more, and not accumulating “stuff”.
Shiny Objects talks about how the idea of the “American Dream” can destroy our finances. If we want to live the “American Dream” we can buy the big house and lease the new car, but we should do it with our own money. We should not borrow money and get into debt just to buy stuff that we think will make us happier because we will live to learn that spending money doesn’t make us happy, it puts us in debt. Spending money that we don’t have actually just makes us miserable when we find out that we can’t afford to pay our monthly bills and we start to lose all of those shiny objects that we once loved so much.
After reading Shiny Objects you will think twice about your purchases…all of your purchases. After reading Shiny Objects you will start to break old bad financial habits and you will start to live a healthy financial life. There is definitely some soul searching to be done while reading Shiny Objects, we have to find out why we have a desire to always have the best of everything.
Remember earlier when I asked if you have a pet? Now I want to know, do you? Whether it is a Goldfish or a German Sheppard, think about your pet. Think about how much you paid for it, and how much money you spend each month pampering and providing a comfortable life for your pet.
Some financial facts I learned from Shiny Objects:
- 70% of Americans live pay check to pay check
- More than 1.5 million Americans filed for bankruptcy in 2010
- The average American Family has $10,000 in Credit Card debt
- Americans spend over $41 billion on their pets each year
- I don’t know about you, but those numbers seem extremely high to me. Think about those numbers and ask yourself if you are a financially average American?
Now that you know Shiny Objects by James A. Roberts is a great book for everyone, it’s time to give away a copy to one lucky reader.
Two ways you can win a copy of Shiny Objects!
- Leave a comment on this blog and tell us about your pet. What type of Pet do you have, what is its name, and what is the last thing you bought for it including the cost? If you don’t have a Pet leave a comment and tell us about the last non essential (food and shelter) item that you bought for yourself including the cost. Each comment receives one entry.
- Send a Tweet that tells your followers to follow @dinks_finance and read the book Shiny Objects. Use #TeamDINKS in your tweet to earn a second entry.
Good Luck Everyone. The winner will be announced shortly.