It seems like everywhere we turn these days we are competing with someone over something. We may be competing with a sibling for the affection of our parents, we may be competing with a co-worker for a promotion, or we may be competing with ourselves in order to improve on our own personal skills. How would you feel if I told you that your competitive nature is a direct result of the city where you live?
Maybe you didn’t get that last promotion because you were competing with the best of the best in the job market, and maybe you didn’t have the best score the last time you played a round of golf because you were playing in a foursome with three other great golf players. Our own personal achievements are definitely a reflection of our own personal attributes, but at the same time our own personal success also depends on the abilities of our competitors. It is definitely a great achievement to become the best of the best, but would you also take pride in your success if you were the best of the worst?
MSN recently published a list of the most competitive cities in the world.
Where do you live?
9. Chicago. It’s no surprise that the hometown of The Oprah Winfrey Show is one of the most competitive cities in the world. When you live in a town that produced one of the richest women in the world it is only obvious that there will be some competition.
8. Washington D.C. In a town that is full of politicians who are competing for citizen votes it is only normal that the competitive spirit spills over onto the city’s residents. Washington D.C. is the nation’s capital and the residents of Washington D.C. are known for being very well educated. Entrepreneurship instincts are also very high among residents of Washington D.C.
7. Zurich, Switzerland. When you live in a city that is known as the most popular location for international banking you are bound to have a competitive spirit. When you are surrounded by wealth it makes you want to be wealthy, when you are used to seeing people who live with life’s luxuries it makes you want to have nice things too. Being surrounded by people who have nice things automatically makes us compete to have those things for ourselves.
6. Tokyo, Japan. Tokyo is a very popular destination where people want to travel and also where people want to live. Living in an overpopulated busy city definitely increases a person’s competitive spirit.
5. Paris, France. The city of love is known for romance, but it is also known for the financial stability of its residents as well as the country’s economic stability.
4. Hong Kong. Hong Kong is known for its economic growth and its financial stability as a country thanks to its many residents and many exports. Hong Kong is innovative and the competition to find the next big thing is fierce.
3. Singapore. This city is the most competitive city in Asia. It has global appeal which attracts both tourists and residents. Singapore is on my personal list of places to travel.
2. London, England. London is known as being the most competitive city in Europe and it is said to be the most appealing city in the world (although that may be because it will be hosting this year’s Olympic Games).
1. New York City. It is absolutely no surprise that New York City is the most competitive city in the world. If you can make it here then you can make it anywhere. I personally hope to make it there someday very soon! I want to be living in New York City by December 2013 at the very latest.
Photo by snap