Good Morning DINKS. Not so long ago we published a post asking about what you really want to be in life whether it’s to be happy, or to be successful, to be rich, or to be famous. Now we want to know about your career. Some of us may be in a career that we studied for in university or college, some of us maybe in a career that we just happen to be good at, and some of us may be in a career that we just happen to fall into.
Let me ask you a question, is your career your passion or is it just something that helps pay your bills? I do like my job in personal finance, but I am not sure if I want to do it forever. There are so many other things that I want to do in life, there are some jobs that I wish I had, and there are also a few other careers that I would like to have. I am only 31 years old and it’s never too late to start over and make changes…right?
Working from 9 to 5 at a “stable job” is some people’s personal dream whereas pursuing our personal dream may be some other people’s goal. However, being financially responsible and always doing the sensible thing may just take priority over following our dreams. It is hard for some people to give up their stability to follow their dreams. But dreams and working towards personal goals are what make us get up in the morning and keep us going throughout the day.
Now let’s talk about the jobs that you wish you had in the past and the jobs that you wish you may have in the future.
What is it in life that you really want to do?
3 jobs that I wish I had
1. Starbucks Barista. I love Starbucks and working there while smelling coffee all day long is definitely appealing. We didn’t have Starbucks in Canada when I was younger so I worked at McDonalds for eleven months when I was a teenager.
2. Dolphin Trainer. When I was younger I wanted to be a dolphin trainer and work at Sea World after watching the movie Jaws 3. It just seems like a really cool job and I really love the water.
3. Game Show Host. I have always been a big fan of the game shows The Price Is Right and Let’s Make a Deal. I also watch re-runs of Match Game on the Game Show Network. I think it would be so much fun to be a Game Show Host.
3 jobs that I would like to have
1. Author. It’s no secret that I want to be an author. I love writing and I love the stress relief of the creative process. I would love to publish a series of personal finance books for youth of all ages from preschoolers to teenagers. I am currently working on a young adult fiction trilogy.
2. Teacher/Money Coach. I would really love to teach personal financial basics to high school students because we learn many of our adult habits as teenagers. As a banking professional we have a lot of young clients who don’t understand how to make a budget, how to manage debt, or the importance of saving money. I want to teach young people good financial habits. I want to help them save money to make sure that everyone can afford to pursue their higher education if they choose to do so.
3. Literary Book Agent. Recently I have been looking into this career as my next move. I want to help discover the world’s next great financial author. On a personal level I know which money mistakes I made as a teenager and as a young adult, and as a financial professional I know the importance of good financial habits and financial responsibility.
Photo by schoschie