Hello readers of Dinks Finance! It’s Redeeming Riches here and this is my post for our article swap. It’s an honor to post on Dink Finance, especially since the site has been an “idol” of mine for a while now. At Redeeming Riches, we try to convey what the Bible says about personal finances in a fashion that makes sense and applicable in our daily lives. If you want to know more, feel free to head on over to Redeeming Riches today!
With tax season being here, many of you will be receiving a substantial (hopefully) tax refund in the mail. I was hoping I could use this article swap to urge you to not waste your tax refund! Instead, I’m going to share with you five smart ways you can spend your tax refund wisely and still enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- Bulk up that emergency fund! Sexy? Definitely not… But hey, it’s a extremely efficient way to use that tax refund from Uncle Sam! No longer are the days of easy credit and ample job opportunities. It’s harder than ever to make ends meet these days, so why put you at risk by not having a large emergency fund? Remember, the key here is to save at least 6 months’ worth of expenses. For those of you with families, this will be a significant amount.
- Grab some continuing education classes! This is easier said than done but investing in your career is one of the best investments you’ll ever make. You need to keep up with the constantly changing workforce and respective industries. Do some research and see what local colleges offer continuing education classes. You can usually find solid classes for a couple hundred bucks at local community colleges. Get on it!
- Get an energy audit of your home! Look, as much as you think your home is efficient, you’re probably wrong. You’re not a contractor are you? Yah, didn’t think so… Don’t assume the work you did was perfect. Have an energy efficiency audit done on your home and see where you can improve. I guarantee that there will be something you can improve on. If not, well I’ll owe you five bucks…
- Boost that Roth-IRA baby! You haven’t loved that Roth-IRA enough have you? I know I haven’t either! Take your tax refund and place it right back into your retirement savings. You will not regret this move as the more you put into your Roth-IRA, the sooner you can retire! Retiring early is music to my ears, do this one simple step and you will be the master of your tax refund.
- Save for your next vacation! Did you go into debt for your last vacation? Those days are over my friends! Take your tax refund and place it right back into your next vacation fund. Heck, you could even place the money in a high yield bank like Ally. Whatever you do, just don’t spend it on a big TV, save for your next vacation instead! C’mon, the Bahamas are calling your name.
As you can see, there are some really smart ways to use your tax refund. Don’t follow the herd in 2012 and go blow the money on some random electronics. In fact, stay away from the stores! Talk it over with your family and make a decision to use the money wisely. I better not hear of any splurging, you hear me?!
Photo by John-Morgan