It seems that every time we turn on the television there is a commercial for lawyers who want to help us sue someone for something. There is also the ever growing trend of court reality shows such as The Peoples Court and Judge Judy. As consumers we can sue someone for everything from a slip and fall accident to a medical malpractice.
MSN recently published an article titled Tribulations and Trials: The weirdest lawsuits in music. After reading this article I thought it was important to share some of the most ridiculous lawsuits I have ever seen.
- American Idol’s Fantasia was sued for being a home wrecker, “alienation of affection” was the exact term quoted by the wife of Fantasia’s boyfriend. Alienation of affection is a law in Southern states which allows spouses to sue “the other woman”.
- Rock Goddess/Hot Mess Courtney Love was sued for Tweeting. Ms. Courtney Love is the first person in the US to be sued for defamation by a Tweet. As social media is a form of personal expression I feel that it is unjust to be sued for our personal thoughts and feelings; but I don’t make the laws.
- This may be no surprise but the toy giant Mattel sued the pop band Aqua over their song Barbie Girl. Mattel is the creator and manufacturer of the Barbie Doll. It is interesting to know that Mattel lost the law suit and later used the Aqua song Barbie Girl in one of their advertisements. You know what they say…If you can’t beat them, join them.
- Damon Dash (better known as the co founder of Roc A Fella Records and rap mogul Jay-Z’s former best friend.) was sued by a woman who met him at a nightclub and then claimed to be schizophrenic months later when she started to hear his voice in her head. HELLO?!?!?!? Every woman who is dumped by a man replays his last words in her head. Does that make all women schizophrenic?
- The Rapper Ja Rule was sued for a violent music video. Ja Rule’s music video for the song I Cry was shot in a Baltimore neighbourhood. It tells the sad story of Ja Rule mourning the death of his friend who was shot in a nightclub. Apparently this video came to life for a Baltimore resident and he claims that it was the fault of Ja Rule’s video.
- P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, Sean Combs, and Diddy (all the same person) was sued by a woman for a trillion dollars for knocking down the twin towers in New York City. Among other things, the woman sued P. Diddy for $900 billion in child support payments and another $100 billion for loss of income. I’m sorry, but in what world does an average (and possibly crazy) person earn $100 billion dollars a year?
We have to be careful what we do on a daily basis because you never know, you just might get sued ;)
(Photo by bsabarnowl)