What Would You Do With $1000?

by Kristina on September 20, 2010 · 12 comments

roll of 100 bills

My 30th Birthday is approaching and I have decided to give myself a gift of $1000. So often I feel that material gifts are such a waste of a present. I would rather give money as a gift, and let the person spend it as they wish. Although money cannot be wrapped up with a pretty red bow like a gift, it is a more practical present.  Remember when you got money for your birthday as a kid? It was amazing, and the feeling of spending it is even better.

For my birthday this year, I have decided to be totally careless, and spend money on myself.  I have $1000 to spend, and I need your help.  How should I spend my birthday money? Since we only turn 30 once I decided to go big. Who knows!? Maybe by 40 I will be married with some kids.  Then, I won’t be able to spend $1000 on myself and buy anything I want.

Here are the options that I have considered, and in some cases vetoed:

Go to Vegas Baby. I invited my Dad on a trip to Las Vegas. But, since he took me to Vegas for my 21st birthday, we have both been there, done that.  I love travelling with my Dad.  Las Vegas is a great place to visit because it is fun and there is gambling.  My Dad is the person who taught me to play Craps.

Go on a Shopping Spree. I have also considered acting like a teenager who just got paid from her first babysitting job, and go to the mall.  However, $1000 seems like a lot of money to spend at on a shopping spree.  Although…A little shopping never hurt anybody…right?

Go Directly to the Bank. I thought that I could make the responsible choice, and put the money into my savings account.  But, that idea was quickly overruled by the mischievous money devil on my left shoulder.

Go on a Trip. I also thought that I could take a trip, but who wants to travel in October? My birthday is October 9 which is always the weekend of Canadian Thanksgiving.  For my entire life, no one was ever able to do anything for my birthday because in elementary school we were off for the Thanksgiving holiday, and in college my friends were always writing midterm exams. Now, everyone is preoccupied with family plans for the holidays. I don’t think I will be able to find someone to travel with in October.

How Would You Spend $1000?

(Photo By Amagill)

1 Mark Roberts September 20, 2010 at 8:25 am

Nice birthday present!

Myself I still have debt to knock out so I would prolly put $600 or $700 of it towards my debt and spend the rest on something fun. A little bit responsible and a little bit exciting…hows that sound?

2 Jim Hughes September 20, 2010 at 9:23 am

I vote for a new camera such as the just announced Nikon D3100. Good entry level DSLR.
Some deals of camera body + lens for $999 can be found on Amazon.

3 Honey September 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Well, I have about $976 left on my only remaining credit card with a balance (well, my balance, my boyfriend has about $6K on one of my credit cards that has a better interest rate than his) so I’d probably pay it off. Or maybe put it in my travel fund, I am going on a ski trip in February. No one says that the trip has to be taken in October, maybe you just need to decide when you will take the trip and set the money aside so you know it’s there?

4 Tarah September 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm

A trip! Don’t know where you’re at in the country, but San Francisco is lovely in the fall. Warm and sunny. I spent a week there last fall and had one of the best times I can remember. Dinner at Chez Panisse (been drooling over this restaurant forever), farmers market at the ferry terminal, ferry to sausalito and eat at fish (http://www.331fish.com/), walk around the city during the day, eat at tartine (http://www.tartinebakery.com/), and a 2 day venture into sonoma for wine tasting and bed and breakfast. That should pretty much take care of the thousand dollars and leave a big smile on your face.

5 Migdalia September 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Directly to the bank?? Boring!! I am sure that you already put enough there, I would use it for a trip, although you dont think its a good idea I love to travel in october because, I dont know how is in Canada but here in Mexico everything is much cheaper in october.

6 Carol@inthetrenches September 20, 2010 at 6:36 pm

If you can afford treat I would vote for jewelry (the good stuff) or Hawaii.

7 Tim September 20, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I’d give your $1000 to me

8 Sandy L September 21, 2010 at 11:45 am

I vote for doing a few things and spread the money out
1. One cute outfit that you have no need for except to spruce up your wardrobe.
2. One night at a hotel at a city that is driving distance from your house..go out with the girls and do something fun..dinner and some event.
3. Do one random act of kindness with a bit of the money.
4. Splurge on something you might enjoy but never do because of cost or time (a pedicures, a massage, a facial, get your apartment cleaned, your car detailed.)

Fun. Enjoy. I have a financial goal I’m trying to hit early next year and I need a little reward for myself too.

9 Kristina September 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I love the “me” day idea from Sandy. I think that I will get a manicure and a pedicure. I am going to take one day and just do what I want. Of course this day may include some shopping.

Jim now that you mention it, I do need a new digital camera, but I don’t want to spend my whole budget on electronics. Does anyone know a good quality camera for around $200?

Tim…I’m sorry but that is not an option :-)

10 Tim September 22, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Then why’d you ask? Ok, I’ll take $800 and you can keep $200 for the camera. that seems fair.

11 Gina September 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

Give it away on the blog! Just kidding.

Usually when we have a little extra money, we put a good amount towards debt/savings but take some out for a splurge. Is there anything you’ve been wanting to do but haven’t because of your budget?

12 Kelsey September 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I always give myself a birthday present too! I would say that I would pay off my car loan (have about $1700 left on it), but if you’re looking for something unresponsible, a trip is a wonderful idea. I love october because there are a lot of oktoberfest celebrations. I think the biggest one is in iowa (or a state near that) but Oklahoma has a huge one too. That might be fun to go to.