How Groupon Made Me a Believer

by Team Dinks on August 25, 2010 · 8 comments

grouponI used to rip on the whole frugal lifestyle, and the constant coupon-cutting and bargain-hunting by those who adhere to the frugal code of conduct.

But here I am eating my own words because today I want to share with you a new (to me at least!) website that I think will become a normal part of my life: Groupon.com.

I first heard about them a few days ago. A friend at work asked if I wanted to go bowling because he had a free hour of bowling (with free shoe rental) for up to six people for an hour….every day of the summer. I couldn’t understand how he got such a great deal!

Well, turns out before the summer started he saw a Groupon offer where you pay $30 and you get the free bowling deal. I then started asking him more about them and he explained that a lot of the coupons were restaurant related and 95% of the deals he wouldn’t consider buying. The reason he stays on their email list is to get those rare deals that save him a LOT of money over time. He’s gone bowling over fifteen times and has yet to spend a dollar at the alley (he resists the temptation to buy food there). That’s one heck of a deal!

So I signed up for Groupon and the very next day I found a deal that I could see myself buying: $25 for a $50 GAP gift card. Granted I don’t go to GAP super often (probably once a month tho), and you have to use it within a month and a half, but the gift card can be used for any item in the store including my personal favorites: the clearance section.

Now I’m not sure if it will be another day, week, or month until I find another deal that makes sense for me to purchase but I do know that Groupon should save me a decent chunk of change in the long-term.

I’m interested to hear what deals you have found on Groupon, or whether this is the first time you heard of it? Do any of you NOT like them? That would be interesting to hear as well!

-DC

*Side note: NO I was not paid in any way shape or form by Groupon for this post; I didn’t even put my affiliate referral link in the post! I genuinely think it’s an awesome site!*

1 James August 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Groupon coupons seem really popular these days.

2 Kelly August 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I just recently discovered groupon and while I have yet to take up one of the offers I have heard great things so I’m keeping an eye out for a great bargain.

3 J$ August 25, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I have yet to sign up, can you believe it? I just really really think a lot of people end up spending a lot more than they save because they can’t control themselves… But I am 100% totally up for major savings when done right! They’re def. breaking new ground, that’s for sure – gotta admire that.

4 Erica August 26, 2010 at 7:05 am

I’ve been following Group daily since about March, when they added a site for my town. A bought a few (spa, bread store, canoe outing, local restaurant), but I don’t buy every one that I think I would use. Since March, 2 more companies (TryItLocal and Social Living) added my town too. It’s one of the first emails I look for in the morning. I sometimes worry when it’s a really good deal and tons of people have already gotten it. I kind of little of a little guilty and think that I would be embarrassed to use it when they are probably overloaded with them. I usually wait a few months before using it. I did buy the Gap groupon last week too.

5 David Carlson August 26, 2010 at 8:57 am

I can see that happening, J. That’s why there are coupons in the first place, to get you to spend more money on x business than you would have if you had never seen the coupon ; )

Kelly I am in the same boat just a newbie as far as groupon goes. I’m just keeping my eye out for those great bargains.

Erica you sound like you are a groupon pro by now! Are TryItLocal and Social Living similar to Groupon? I just might have to check them out! I know some college students here in Minnesota started a small business that basically emulates groupon but targets solely the Twin Cities…can’t remember the name right now but that’s another site I’ve been meaning to check out.

6 David Carlson August 26, 2010 at 9:02 am

And here’s the website I was talking about for the Twin Cities -> http://dealstork.com/ I could see a lot more of these sites popping up for specific markets (i.e. L.A., Seattle, etc.)

7 Donna Freedman August 27, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Massage. Massage. Massage. As little as $35 for an hour’s worth. I cherry-pick massage deals from several different social buying sites.
Note: Sometimes a “spa” coupon can be used for massage.

8 Kristina August 27, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I love coupons. For some reason I don’t feel bad about spending money (even in large amounts) if I think I’m getting a good deal. Coupons make me spend more money than I normally would, but I don’t feel guilty about it.