Valentine’s Spending

by Dual Income No Kids on February 14, 2010 · 7 comments

Valentine’s day is one of those mixed blessings. While it is nice to show your love, it can also get pretty expensive.

I recall our first Valentine’s together in 2004, where we went to about the fifth choice place (since reservations were all booked up) and dropped around $85 per person on Indian food. While happy to spend a nice dinner with James, I couldn’t help but thinking how many average priced dates we could have had for the equivalent.

Personally, I’d rather go out once a week for the month of February and spend the same as you would drop on the big day. Looking online, DC prices range from $50-100 for dinner, with most hovering around the middle.

While James and I toyed with the idea of going out this year, I think we’ll enjoy a nice home cooked meal and I’ll put the money towards buying him a nice suit.

We will included in the 60% of Americans that celebrate Valentine’s Day, with men spending on average $135 and women $72. Collectively that adds up to $14 billion dollars. While I will be buying my hubby a much needed suit (thus upping the average spent), I can’t help but see this as a over the top.

Another comment on Valentine’s Day is the sad situation with flowers. Time and time again, the flowers at this time of year are much more expensive and of much poorer quality. My mom got flowers last night and they were drooping this morning. I request James not buy flowers on the big day, but surprise me sometime instead.

My sister did a great post on family friendly ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day. I personally always think of my friends at this time of year, as in Finland they adopted and adapted the holiday to be called Ystävän Paivä , or Friend’s Day.

What ways do you celebrate Valentine’s Day?

Cheers,

Miel

1 Anonymous February 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm

We are going to the indian casino by our house. Free buffet when we sign up for the players club, giving us more free cash to play with! It will be entertaining for us since we like to gamble and if we lose our money, we figure we would have spent the same on a fancy diner.

2 Anonymous February 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm

We don't buy into the Hallmark holidays. That being said, Valentine's Day for us is typically spent relaxing at home with our dog and cooking up a nice home cooked meal. Several years ago on our first Vday we joined the pack and went out to eat. After a hour wait (with reservations!) and an overpriced meal in a loud restaurant we decided we'd spend the day quietly in our own home. :) As far as gifts go…Vday for us is about expressing our love vocally and not through something purchased at the mall.

3 David February 15, 2010 at 2:08 am

As poor college students, Victoria and I try to be a little more practical. We went out to lunch with friends (Noodles and company total bill for both of us: $13) and for dinner got a heart-shaped pizza from papa Murphys ($8!).

We did spend $50 on each other for gifts. But the gifts are stuff that we want and wouldn't buy otherwise, so it works out pretty good!

It's more about the people/person you are with I think.

By the way I think Anonymous knows what's up! The key to casino gaming is to milk those comps. I took $8 and turned it into $2,200 in one night. I got insane comps for the next year (free hotels, free meals, etc.). I would go up there a couple times a month and enjoy all the free stuff, but would only gamble $40 and basically broke even :P They just want you to win big and then try to do it again and again.

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day!

4 Dual Income No Kids February 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Just reporting back on V-Day to mention that our dinner cost us $12 for two homemade pizzas, and we have a second one as leftovers.

That comes to a grand total of $3 per person on a lovely Valentine's dinner.

We did also enjoy the second half of a bottle of wine we opened on my return, but if it wasn't drank it would just gone bad, so I don't know if it counts.

Not bad for a thrifty Valentine's dinner. It also took less than fifteen minutes to make, so no slaving in the kitchen either. Life is good.

Cheers,

Miel

5 Dual Income No Kids February 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Anon – Sounds like fun. Let us know if you win big!

Cheers,

Miel

6 Anonymous February 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm

We hosted a dinner party for my husband's mother and aunt's and uncles. We cooked – inexpensive but delicious. It was fun and inspiring listening to couples that had been married 40+ years share stories of how they first met and their advice for a happy marriage.

7 Dual Income No Kids February 15, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Anon – That sounds like a fabulous Valentine's Day.

Cheers,