Its no secret that the divorce rate of America’s millionaires is quite low. Since it takes time to accumulate a million dollars, it seems fair to say that there is something special about couples that have managed to reach that level of wealth. Some of this success can be attributed to things like marriages tax advantaged status or economies of scale. Some authors like Thomas Stanley of Millionaire Next Door fame have also looked at the personalities and values of millionaires.
But, what this discussion leaves out, is the fact that marriage is a partnership between two people. So, this means the financial success of the marriage is partly due to the quality of interactions the two people have with each other. This obviously pertains to finance because if the quality of ones discussions are bad, then the teamwork that’s required to build wealth doesn’t happen.
1. Treat money and each other with respect.
2. Know what your individual and shared goals are, and what it takes to achieve them.
3. Develop a plan and follow it.
4. Understand how to meet your goals through smart spending and investing.
5. Protect each other by putting together a strong financial safety net.
6. Communicate when concerns arise and work together to find acceptable solutions.
7. Get outside help as required.
The bottom line is that building wealth is greatly facilitated by having a harmonious marriage. The tone and quality of your discussions matter a lot in this process. If you’ve got questions about specifically how to get started on these points, feel free to drop us an email. We’re available at dinksfinanceblog @ yahoo.com.
Like DINKS? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest DINKS Finance content by email.